Friday, July 3, 2009

Best Canada Day EVER

Just sitting here, eating my giant bowl of delicious pasta, I realize that I havn't left the country to travel for something like 4 weeks. I gotta go somewhere soon or I might just go crazy. Good thing I'm headed off to Romania in a week for a meeting with Count Dracula!

Today was a pretty rough day at the office. In fact, the whole week has been rather hectic. Someone decided that my task was urgent and gave me 3 days to prepare a bunch of BS data that didn't fit together and arrange it in a way that made sense. For those of you who know me well, it shouldn't be a surprise to you that I got the presentation completed and printed off about 4 minutes before the meeting. Now all I need to do is avoid getting anything else major until I'm back from holidays.

Apart from work, nothing too crazy has happened since the last post. Oh I take that back, I realize now that I left off just prior to go-karting... So go-karting was pretty wicked, along with the bowling and pool I played. We got organized into groups of people we didn't directly work with, which was really cool. I wound up with a guy I work right beside but couldn't stand because he is always on the phone which makes it hard to concentrate. But I now know he is a pretty cool guy. See? Team-building excursions work! I also met an Aussie by the name of Shane who I see all the time now. My racing times weren't so great, but on the upside I crashed into the Spanish guy I work with, which was really amusing.

On Saturday I went to Z├╝rich with Mike and Pat to get used bikes. I already have one, but Chris and I made a deal involving beer if I picked him up one so it is a given that I would go. Heineken is pricey after all. We managed to find the platz where the sale was going on, but it decided to rain right when I was getting into the zone. It didn't stop after 5 minutes, so I was forced to look at bikes and test ride them holding an umbrella between my neck and head. I think the locals were probably laughing at me, but that's not new. I wound up finding one for 140CHF that had functioning brakes and the gearshift worked. It was a steal, until the people selling it told me it was actually 120CHF. Sold!

We wound up going back to the flat and doing a centurion. I wont go into details, but needless to say, Pat and Mike are women... Come to think of it, Pat was a lot more fun when his girlfriend was away for a week...

Sunday night I decided to get out of the house and scale the mountain we have for a backyard. And scale it I did. In sandals. Not the greatest idea, but it worked out. I managed to get lost and found a mountain hut by accident. It was perfect for Canada Day, I just had to find it again. More on that quest later.

For a quick summary of the week, Monday was the grocery trip to Germany. A whole group of us went so we could get as much meat as legally possible for Canada Day. Then we decided to walk to a kebab shop somewhere in town. It was the best kebab I've had since coming back to Europe. Then we almost missed our train. Backpacks full, the customs guy just laughed at us, figured out Mike is Canadian and didn't ask for anyone else's ID. We made it for the train. Barely. After arriving home and stashing our loot in the fridge, I went for a jog up the mountain again to see if I could find the route to the mountain hut. I had even looked at the google map at work so I would have an idea of where to go. No dice.

Tuesday night I went to the Schwimmbad with a bunch of Germans and a Swede. It was alright, I went off the diving board a couple of times and managed to sack myself hitting the water doing a front flip. Don't bother asking me how, I still can't figure it out. Just thought I'd include some humor. Laughing at someone else's pain is awesome... I went for another walk up the mountain and actually found it this time, which was a huge relief, because I had been planning a Canada Day celebration for up there since Monday, and a fair few people were supposed to be coming.

Wednesday, CANADA DAY, was hilarious. I biked to work with a Canadian flag on my back. And no one even "accidentally" rear-ended me! They probably thought it was Swiss because its red and white. Anyway, my co-workers (a lot of them) laughed at me when I walked in the building. Can't say I blame them. They were just happy that it wasn't 2 months of combustion that had finally gotten to me. I don't think I've ever been so patriotic. We went to Migro's after work to pick up a giant bag of charcoal. A group assembled in front of the flat and we hiked up the mountain. Needless to say, beer was in order by the time we got to the hut. I made burgers for me and Chris, and they were phenomenal. The best burgers I have ever made. Possibly because it was the first taste of beef I had had in 2 months, but they were huge burgers. 200g each and we had 2. In the end, over 30 people showed up at the hut and the party was bouncing. I managed to convince Ksenija, a Slovenian girl I met when I first arrived in Baden, to shotgun a beer with me. Just for the record, beer here are almost all 0.5L. I bet half the guys back home couldn't have kept up. Haha. We ended up leaving after the sun had gone down (a given), and thankfully someone had planned ahead and brought a headlamp otherwise that would have been one treacherous walk back.

Last night was pretty mellow, as a bunch of people met up at Anubis for some food and shiesha.

That's the summary of the week. Long winded, but a summary none the less. Check out the fb photo album to see whatever I deemed worthy of a snapshot.

Happy Canada Day to the canucks back home!



Mandy said...

You are 100x more patriotic than me - you wore a flag to work?! I didn't even put on anything red or white. Gah.

I can't believe you're complaining about not leaving Switzerland to go travel. You are currently an ocean away, while I am still stuck here, on the mainland. Geez Steve, way to rub it in. lol.